I climbed Borah back in 2003. Grueling. I won't do that again. This is me at the top. What I like to brag about is the fact that I still have those very same pants and boots. They have survived nearly 10 years in Idaho, including crawling across Chickenout Ridge on my way up Borah. I still have the jacket and daypack too.

But that's another story. Back to Merriam...
The drive is quite long, and very rough in the end, from Boise. The hike is about 2 miles and fairly steep - about 1400 ft elevation gain. It is well worth it.
Here is a view of the range from our drive in Friday afternoon.
We woke up to a pretty sunrise on Saturday morning.
Then I did a bit of yoga.
We knew there was a no-name lake nearby, so we set off cross-country to find it.
We found the lake nestled in the barren peaks. Can you find Rick in this photo?
Then, we took some fun photos...
...and built an Inukshuk!
We made it back down to camp just in time to hide in our tent from a pea-size hail storm that made the ground white. When the rain stopped, Rick snapped this unreal shot of the lake.
We went for a walk along the lake after dinner. Here's a look back at our campsite, most easily identified by the red food bag and the yellow flames from our campfire.
The reflections on the lake at dusk were quite amazing.
Merriam Lake is, without a doubt, the most beautiful place I have seen in Idaho - one of the most beautiful places I've seen in the world.
No comments:
Post a Comment