Sunday, May 11, 2008

E. Fork Owyhee (the raft trip from hell)

Back in April, Rick and I went with some friends on the raft trip from hell. I call it this because that's what it was, and here's why:

1. The trip was 42 miles on the river and we had three days (Fri-Sun) to do it. But since the shuttle took all day, instead of 2 hours, we only made 4 mi the first day and had to paddle like hell on Saturday to make up for it. And we didn't get back to Boise until 5am on Monday.

2. Our friends were in canoes (2 people per canoe), while Rick and I were in inflatable kayaks. Canoes go fast in the water with little effort. Inflatable kayaks do not, requiring Rick and I to paddle even more like hell.

3. The rapids were bigger than I thought they would be, which made me scared. I don't like rapids.

4. There were two rapids we couldn't run and had to instead portage our boats and all of our gear (tents, etc.). The portage was long and steep and treacherous. It was the portage from hell!

OK, that all being said, the E. Fork Owyhee canyon is beautiful! The photos don't do the straight-up towering cliffs justice. We saw a lot of wildlife, and we saw no people. I heard this is the least populated area in the lower 48 states.

Here are some photos - good memories:

I woke up the first morning to find my socks frozen. This was OK because I didn't have to put them on.


This is a movie of Rick running one of the rapids that looked too scary to me. So he ran it twice, once in his boat and once in mine.

Here is a photo Mike took of the river canyon from above on the desert plain.


Here is one Klaus took of Rick and me on the water.

These are parts of the portages from hell.

























And here is an attempt to show the spectacular canyon walls.


If you want to go on this trip, plan for at least 4 days and pack light!

No comments: